Last Sunday, Winkle’s Yard made a successful appearance at the Reepham and Whitwell Model Railway exhibition.
The Whitwell and Reepham Railway Preservation Society was formed in 2008 as a not for profit charity. It opened to the public in February 2009, fifty years to the day after the line was closed to passengers.
The Railway is manned by Volunteers and Staff and profit goes back into the Charity; none of the Trustees are paid from the Society’s funds.
Any visitors get a taste of how the Midland and Great Northern Railway ran this line, as well as running a variety of Events, historical and more lighthearted, to fund the project. The model railway exhibition is one of many events that take place during the year.
Our group also presented it’s WW1 layout ‘4000 yards’ complete with authentic war time sound effects.
Here are a few pics of Winkle’s Yard from the event:
Here are a few pictures of 4000 Yards. I couldn’t take too many as I was behind Winkle’s Yard all day.
I know it’s been a while since I posted an update to show any progress on my ongoing O gauge project.
The layout – Prince’s Street – even has an exhibition booking for the latter half of 2020 so I am very mindful of the need to make steady progress in many areas.
In recent weeks I have focused on the electrical side of the layout, something which needs to be right but I have to admit I prefer to do other things such as the scenic side of the layout. Despite that, progress ahs been made with a lot of different things including an 8 ft traverser which will be needed too.
I thought I’d show you a few pics to highlight some of the progress.
I purchsased this little hut as a little diorama. It also came with a grounded wagon body on a little scenic board. I really thought it had a lot of potential and was something different. It has now been fixed in place and ground cover added to avoid seeing the bottom of the building. The earth colour will have some further work done to it as I’m not 100% happy with it.
Some more ground cover has been added around the front of the layout near to where the coal depot will be. I really want it to look uneven and unkempt so I’m doing my best not to make it look planned. As already mentioned, the track will get some more weathering and then I will add some more grass between the sleepers.
I’ve now made the coal staithes from single wooden sleepers glued together. These need to be painted and weathered, then I will started to make the ground in this area look dirty with puddles, mud and piles of coal.
The platform was painted but every now and again it got a little bit of other colours on it so I repained the whole thing including the brick sides and painted fresh stripes on it. It’s a very clean platform and the edges will eventually be weathered with the airbrush to refelct years of grime from diesels and the steam engines before that. The station also needs signage and lamps and people and platform clutter.
I’ve really enjoyed putting the grass and ground cover materials on this little area at the front of the layout. The static grass fibers are a mix of colours and lengths with the longest being 6mm by Woodland Scenics. There are also some Noch plants in the grass although these have been used sparingly due to their cost!
The station area still needs some more work but once I start it should move forward quite quickly. The canopies need a little bit more work but are nearly finished. The station building is also nearly finished and needs its roof to be covered in hand applied slates. I haven’t yet decided how the front of the station will look as I would like vehicles to be able to drive into the railway yard. The end also needs some low relief buildings to make it look like it is part of a small town. The rear wall also needs detail above that. I hope to try and give the representation of some buildings with a wooden fence at the top of the stone walls. The wooden fence made from coffee sticks from Costa and the like! Thanks Costa!
As you can see, the control panel has also been started and uses the shell of a previousl control panel with a freshly cut top section. This panel is designed so it can be hung from the front when the layout is at home and the rear side when the layout is at an exhibition. I guess you could operate it at an exhibition from the front if you wanted. To do this I have had to make sure the wiring looms are long enough to reach both sides
Here’s another shot of the line side hut showing the ground cover around the base of the building. I will probably add some more old sleepers and lineside junk.
SO, Here’s a picture of the whole scenic area at the moment. There’s still lots to do but when the area is tidy, I do feel it’s going in the right direction. I hope you like it too!
Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Come back soon.
We had a busy weekend with Morlock Heath which attended two shows over the last weekend.
On Saturday 5th October, we took Morlock to Sudbury and had a great time with my older stock.
On Sunday we took the layout to the Bury St. Edmunds O gauge get together which really can’t be described as an exhibition as it really is a lovely gathering of people interested in O gauge. There was a large test track, some layouts and a number of traders. It has a lovely atmosphere and everyone has a great time.
Our modelling group had a presence at the Bury St. Edmund’s show on September 28th with Copsey, a OO gauge modern image layout that can be run with various time periods. Due to the availability of different people in our group, I took my blue era stock and had lots of fun giving it a run.
A lot of people made favourable comments about the layout which was built by Kelvin Barnes and my rolling stock which was all weathered by myself.
During the silly hour at the end of the day, my little collection of DRS motive power also made an appearance!