New Vans are ready!

I am not very good at resisting a bargain so when Hattons had an O gauge sale, I couldn’t help myself. I purchased two bauxite VAA vans.

These look great, but out of the box they were far too clean and wouldn’t be acceptable for my layout of any of the other layouts we exhibit.

I decided I would try a technique explained by Kelvin Barnes on these VAA vans used to show how paint fades over the years. In addition to that, I would add some grime and weather the wagons using the same colours and methods as Mr Barnes my teacher!

SO! For the faded paint affect (or is it effect) I added white paint to Railmatch matt varnish. This helped to lighten the bauxite paint and give a matt finish to the wagons. I then covered pretty much all of the wagons surface in matt black paint and using white spirit, I rubbed a lot of this off using downward strokes. I did this in sections. The black paint gets thinned down and gathers in the detail and gives a great grimy look.

I then used frame dirt to go around the chassis area, rust on certain areas, followed by black on the axle boxes. Attention was also given to the buffers faces.

I was fairly happy with these as they were probably one of the biggest weathering projects I had done to date. I think they should blend in with the other stock well.

MAR_1066

 

MAR_1075

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.