We were privileged to take Morlock Heath to the annual Norwich model Railway Exhibition held at Hellesdon High School.
After a few outings with pre-tops rolling stock and engines, this outing saw the layout returned to its normal dutch livery stock and maintenance wagons. I did however, sneak a few other items onto the layout later in the day when operating got a little more self-indulgent!
I was also pleased to receive my BR Parcel DMU back from Kelvin Barnes who did a stunning job weathering the model for me.
Here’s a few pictures taken today – 7 April 2018
While we were all together, Kelvin and Graham also sat me down and informed me of their next project. I was very surprised to hear what they had in mind but I didn’t go mad. The last thing we need is a war zone…
Morlock Heath will be at this event in Norwich with Graham and myself. I have no idea what we will be running on it but I will make sure it’s interesting. It will probably feature lots of pre-tops diesel engines and stock. Come and see how to fit a lot of O gauge detail into a relatively small space.
Next Saturday, Kelvin Barnes, Graham Minshull and I will be presenting Mortlock Heath, an O gauge layout at the Norwich Model railway exhibition. This will be held at Hellesdon High School on the edge of Norwich.
If you are able, do come and say hello to us and admire Kelvin’s amazing modelling skills as well as various items of interesting O gauge rolling stock owned by the three of us. We really to strive to show that O gauge is a viable modern scale for people, and while it would be great to have an enormous O gauge layout running full length passenger trains, you can also make interesting features in a relatively small space if you plan your layout well.
As always, we may have a few interesting items running later during the day particularly during the final hour when anything can happen!
Well, unless I hear from anybody, I think I have finished sticking pieces onto the TTA chassis. I gave both of the wagons a dusting down with grey primer and painted the sides red. I did consider using an airbrush for the red but chicken’d out at the last-minute even thought I had purchased some red paint for the airbrush.
I turned to my trusty pot of matt red paint (humbrol 60) and gave each wagon 3 light coats of red to build up the colour. Given that these were not cheap wagons, I am constantly mindful of the price and I am in a state or nervousness, trying not to bodge them up at the last hurdle. Well actually the last hurdle is a little way away yet, I have other challenges yet like the etched brass walkways, finding the correct colour for the tanks, transfers, weathering etc. I’m trying to avoid the easy route too. That would be giving the whole lot to Kelvin Barnes for him to finish them!
SO. The red is dry, and I have now started to apply the black paint. Every once in a while I breathe in and if I’m not painting the model, I breathe out. It’s tense work, this model making but it’s raining outside so I’ll carry one, till the wife tells me to do something useful like washing or other daft chores!
A rather messy looking TTA at the black paint stage.
The above picture may look a bit hap hazzard, however, I have been trying to hold the wagon and avoid getting black paint on my hands. In order to do this, I worked along one side ensuring that I had a firm grip on the wagon and wouldn’t get black paint on my fingers and on to the red. There’s lots to do yet, but it’s all going in the right direction…